To ensure just and equitable access to nutritious food for all in LA County to build stronger and healthier communities.
We believe that just and equitable access to healthy and nutritious food is a human right
We believe that coordinated efforts and collective impact can resolve inequities in the food system.
The Roundtable is an opportunity we believe disruptive innovation is a virtue. Roundtable is an opportunity to discuss ideas, challenge norms, and strive for effectiveness in driving outcomes.
Develop and implement multi-dimensional cross sector policy and program solutions prioritizing prevention of food insecurity and striving for equity in systems. Focus areas include:
- Enabling food justice with enhanced access, affordability, and consumption of nutritious food;
- Advancing equitable impact of food public benefits and food distribution programs;
- Generating political and financial support to build food systems that are resilient, sustainable, and equitable.
OUR PROGRESS TO DATE
The Roundtable’s ambitious campaign to fundamentally rethink how we tackle chronic food insecurity in Los Angeles County is nearing the halfway mark. Working together, philanthropy, government, academic and nonprofit leaders have started drafting a strategic plan that will drive lasting and meaningful change.
The final Plan will be unveiled in September. But here’s a quick look at our gains:
- Launched seven workgroups with more than 70 community-based organizations and engaged with 100-plus food system experts nationwide to inform the Plan.
- Formally identified 14 priority population segments that are disproportionately more vulnerable to food and nutrition insecurity, from immigrant to transgender communities.
- Consulted with the private sector to identify food system enhancements to drive cost efficiencies that will support broader nutrition security.
- Addressed gaps in the local supply chain that can help reduce food waste and enable recovery efforts
- Analyzed transportation barriers to food security and reviewed best-practices deployed in other regions to enhance transit access.
- Explored technology and data solutions to modernize our outdated food systems, such as USC-led portal to map all food-related resources and “last-mile” support services in underserved L.A. County neighborhoods.
LEADERSHIP IN ACTION
The Los Angeles County Food Equity Roundtable is a brand new effort to help address and track the growing food insecurity challenge in LA County. The Roundtable, co-led by LA County and its LA-area philanthropic partners, consists of senior leadership from cross-sector organizations committed to addressing food insecurity.
THE OBJECTIVE & APPROACH
This is a two-year pilot with the objective of developing a comprehensive strategic plan to address food equity issues with a coordinated systemic approach in year one and initial implementation and assessment starting in year two. Together, as a team, the goal for the Roundtable is to develop a comprehensive strategic plan by September of 2022.