THE APPLICATION IS NOW CLOSED
Our research team is now in the process of making sure that all of the applications received meet the eligibility requirements and that all duplicate applications are removed from the pool. They are doing this by hand to maintain a commitment to equity and justice, which means it takes a little longer to complete the process. Once this process is completed and the participants are randomly selected, we will update this website again. We anticipate this taking several weeks to complete.
For additional resources, please see below:
Early research suggests that a Guaranteed Income program can provide households with financial stability during sharp economic swings to breathe a little easier, alleviate stress, and broaden recipients’ horizons, allowing them the time to complete deferred education and job training, as well as plans to fully participate in their communities. Importantly, these programs come without the scrutiny and work requirements of certain public benefits.
Los Angeles County is launching the pilot program Breathe to provide its residents the chance to “breathe” easier knowing they are more financially secure. Breathe is a guaranteed income pilot project that will provide 1,000 eligible residents with $1,000 per month for three years. While the benefits of guaranteed income programs have been documented, this will also be an independent research project that will be used to study the effects of this type of program so that the County and other jurisdictions can learn about the project’s impact on the economic stability of participants, as well as its impact on participants’ overall health and well-being.
Who is Eligible
To be eligible for this pilot project, you must meet all of these requirements:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Live in a Los Angeles County neighborhood that falls at or below 100% of the County’s Area Median Household Income (AMI) (see Eligiblity Map)
- Have a household income that falls at or below 100% of the County’s AMI, for a single person household, or have a household income that falls at or below 120% of the County’s AMI for households with two or more persons (see Income Eligibility Table)
- Have been negatively financially impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic
- Not be currently enrolled in another Guaranteed Income project offered by the County, a city, or other public or private entity
Note: Only one person will be eligible to participate in the project per household.
Income Eligibility Table
|Number of Persons Residing in your household||Maximum Annual Household Income Amount*|
* These amounts are for your pre-tax or gross income.
** For every additional member of your household above 8, add an another $7,700.
How to Apply?
To apply for this pilot project:
- You must complete the program application on this website between March 31st – April 13th, 2022. The link to apply will appear during this open enrollment period only.
STEP 1: Find out if you are eligible by completing the online screening tool.
If you meet all of the eligibility requirements, go to Step 2. If you do not meet the eligibility requirements, please click here for a list of other resources that may be helpful to you.
STEP 2: If eligible, complete the online application survey form.
- The application survey can be filled out on a computer or using your cell phone.
- If you do not have online access through a computer or your cell phone, click here for a list of designated locations across the County you can visit to receive assistance with completing the application, during the open enrollment period.
Do you have a disability that makes it hard for you to apply? We can give you extra help. Click here for more information.
Selection Process and Research Survey
1,000 participants will be randomly selected from the pool of eligible applicants by the research team, the University of Pennsylvania, Center for Guaranteed Income Research, much like a blind drawing.
The date and time applicants apply, or the method, will not impact getting selected, as long as they apply during the open enrollment period.
The application includes a survey that the researchers will use to collect baseline data for those selected to be participants in the project or the control group. This survey includes a series of questions about your overall health and well-being. Some of these questions are sensitive and may be difficult to answer. These questions are only for purposes of gathering baseline data for the research study. Answers to them will not have any impact on being selected to participate in the project. They will be kept confidential and will only be used for research purposes. The participants will be randomly selected from the pool of eligible applicants who meet the stated eligibility requirements and submits an application during the application enrollment period.
To see the full detailed research plan, please click here.